Welcome to Grade K!
The 2017-2018 school year will be a great learning adventure!
Click here for Grade K Expectations and how you can help your child learn!
Grade K students participate in Reading Workshop daily. During our Reading Workshop, students are either reading independently or are buddy reading (partner reading).
Reading Workshop Launch Unit Goals:
- understand and follow the routines of reading time
- make book choices that match their interests and purposes
- share books and their thinking about books with a partner
In Kindergarten, we read by reading pictures, reading the words and retelling the story together.
Students practice "partner reading" as they build reading stamina.
Grade K students are given daily opportunities to "play". Constructive play promotes creativity, collaboration, problem solving, social learning, sharing, cooperation, confidence, and self-control. Play develops a child's cognitive and social-emotional growth.
Grade K students will learn shapes, numbers, and how to add and subtract. Lessons will emphasize
- Knowing Numbers and Counting
- Counting and comparing
- Addition and Subtraction6
- Measuring (length, width, weight)
- Identifying Shapes
These students were playing "Monster Dice"; a math partner game that focuses on number recognition and counting.