The College Application Process
Applying to college takes thought, effort, and organization. The guidance department has many tools to help you navigate through the application process successfully. Refer to the checklist below for the step by step process. If you have additional questions, please make an appointment with your school counselor.
Student & Family Responsibilities:
1. Authorize the release of transcript and test score information through Infosnap at
2. Use Naviance to indicate the colleges the student is applying to.
3. Complete Common Application for Common Application institutions. If your school is not a Common Application institution, complete the college’s electronic or paper application.
4. Link Common Application and Naviance by using the same email address for both the Common Application and Naviance.
5. Use Naviance to request transcripts for each college to which you will apply.
6. Sign the FERPA waiver in the Common Application.
7. In the “colleges I am applying to” section of Naviance check off the “I have submitted my application” upon submitting it electronically.
8. Complete Letter of Recommendation Brag Sheet in Naviance before asking a teacher for a letter of recommendation.
9. Ask teachers in person for a recommendation letter at least 3 weeks in advance of college application deadline. Follow up with an electronic request in Naviance.
10. Common Application colleges will accept electronically only the exact number of teacher recommendations specified for their institution.
11. Notify your Counselor that you need a letter of recommendation at least 3 weeks in advance of deadline for the college.
12. Student indicates in Naviance colleges’ decisions as they are informed: Accepted, Denied, Waitlisted.
13. Student states in Naviance the college he or she will attend.
14. Bring to room 124 an addressed, stamped envelope to have transcripts and applications mailed to colleges that do not accept electronic transcripts.
1. Write letter of recommendation when required or requested.
2. Complete Common Application School Report.
3. Send electronically the transcript, letters of recommendation, school profile, and school report to common application schools.
4. Send the electronic transcript, letters of recommendation (if required or requested) and school profile to non common application schools.
5. Send out first quarter grades if requested by student or college.
6. Send out mid-year grades and report if requested or required.
7. Review Naviance to monitor student requests for sending out college information.
School Counseling Office Responsibilities:
1. Update the School Profile and Upload to Naviance.
2. Upload initial transcripts, mid-year grades and final transcripts.
3. Send out one final transcript to the school the student will attend.
1. In accord with numbers 8 and 9 above, write a letter of recommendation, upload to Naviance and complete common application evaluation (as appropriate).