|Grade 11 School Counseling Calendar|
What to Do
How To Do It
- Start to form a plan for life after High School: do you want to go to college? Into the military? Into the world of work?
- Attend college and military visits by representatives. Check Naviance for announcements.
- Talk with your parents and family, counselors, teachers, and friends.
- Check the School Counseling office and Naviance for the schedule of visits.
- Take the PSAT.
- If you are considering the military, take the ASVAB
- The Board of Education has paid for all Juniors to take the PSAT, so you don't need to register.
- Check the School Counseling website or office for the test date, the ASVAB is usually offered in November during the school day.
- Check your PSAT results.
- Start your college search and Post-High School Planning.
- Counselors will meet with students to discuss the PSAT results and SAT preparation.
- Counselors will visit classrooms in January and focus on college searching and exploring your options after high school.
- Meet with your counselor for course selection and senior year planning.
- Take steps to finalize your plan for life after high school.
- Attend College Presentations.
- Take School Day SAT in February
- Make sure you are taking the appropriate courses for your senior year and for what you have planned for your future after high school.
- If you are planning to attend college, make a list of your top choices so you can do some further research. Add these colleges to the "colleges I'm thinking about" section in Naviance.
- School Counselors will present "Making your College Search Count" to the Junior Class.
- Register for the June SATs or ACTs.
- Determine if the SAT Subject Tests are required for your college choice or intended major.
- File Service Academy & ROTC scholarship applications.
- Check with your School Counselor for important test deadlines and register online.
- Counsult your college's admission office for SAT requirements.
- Meet with your Counselor to discuss the requirements for military academies.
- Take the SATs or ACTs.
- Attend college fairs.
- Ask teachers and your counselor for letters of recommendation.
- Go to your test prepared. There are many great resources for test prep and tips so you can do your best!
- Attend the National College Fair in Hartford.
- Don't wait until the last minute to ask for recommendations. Complete your brag sheet in Naviance so teachers have information to help them write your letter.
Over the Summer
- Visit colleges.
- Narrow your school list down so you will be prepared to begin the application process when you return to school.
- Think about a summer job, volunteering, or internship.
- Decide which colleges you will apply to in the Fall.
- Call schools and make appointments to visit with admissions staff while you're visiting.
- Consulting guidebooks, online resources and college catalogs can help you in narrowing your list.
- Naviance has a list of summer opportunities available to students.